Friday, February 18, 2011

on the divorce & being the black sheep

out of my brothers & me, scottie was most affected by my parent's divorce. my dad had been distancing himself from the family for a couple years before finally getting the balls to leave. one weekend in june of 1998, my mom took my brothers & me on a mini vacation to rural pennsylvania. when we got back my dad was waiting in the driveway. as my brothers & i piled out of the van & into the house, i heard my dad say that he had to talk to my mom. we were so happy to be back home; we were too preoccupied to notice that dad's belongings were missing.

when my parents came back in the house, my mom was still crying. my dad lead us into the library, the room unofficially designated for computer use, piano playing, & christmas morning. he told us that he had already moved out. he had rented a condo about 30 minutes away, a really small place, but we were welcome there at any time. he said not to worry, that it wasn't anything that my brothers & i had done; this was all between my mom & dad. he started to cry, for about the third time i could remember in my 16 years of living. everyone was crying, except me. maybe because of my dry cheeks, my dad felt most comfortable asking me to come with him to check out his one room apartment in echelon, right down the street from the doomed & deteriorating mall. i agreed to go because he was my dad. i never said no to my dad. i never said much of anything to him.

i wasn't surprised too much by the separation. i had seen it coming. i noticed that the time dad spent around the house had become increasingly less. at night when they thought i was sleeping, i could hear my parents arguing. my mom asked my dad about an address on his parking ticket, & why he was out so late. my dad loudly & angrily denied any kind of wrongdoing, claiming that my mom was being paranoid & ridiculous. a few years later, my dad finally divorced my mom & married the woman, with 3 young kids, that lived at the address on the parking ticket. 

scott was 11 when dad left. we all felt abandoned, but scottie, being the youngest, had been without a father figure for years. my dad traveled a lot with his job. he would be gone for weeks at a time, come home for a handful of day, & have a new international destination in store for his already saturated passport. it felt normal for him to be gone. in school, when scott was asked to describe my dad for father's day, he said that dad like ties & suits; that's all my brother knew of our father. 

a few years later, when dad got remarried, he refused to go to the wedding. but he ended up spending the most time with my dad & his new wife & family. steven & i went off to college, leaving scottie to console our still grieving mother. he was forced to spend time with the dad he hardly knew. he became the liaison between my parents, & a step-brother to 3 kids who adored him. but what he truly wanted is his family back together. 

scott, particularly later in life, was probably considered to be the black sheep of our family. but i recently heard that there really aren't any black sheep. these "outcasts" are simply the most sensitive & emotionally aware kin. they end up embodying the rest of the family's joys, despairs, angers, shames, excitements, love. they feel so deeply & truly that sometimes it is hard for others to accept, particularly if they are trying to forget. i now see scott as the delicate & passionate brother & son who wanted to relate to each one of us without inhibition. we were too scared to be so exposed... to feel so openly...

may we all become the black sheep in our families.  

4 comments:

  1. What a great way of considering the back sheep of the family. Opened my eye on this, Thank you darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I don't know what to say...Your words are such a release, not only for you...
    Keep writing, Honey. It will only bring healing.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried when I read this. One thing about Scottie which impressed me most was how he loved his family. I remember the day after your wedding, when the family members said goodbye to each other outside the hotel at the parking lot, Scott came to me and said, “Thanks for treating my Uncle Tom so well.” My heart melted at that moment, he’s so loving the family.

    Love yr blog, pls keep writing.

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...my wife and I are wiping the tears from our faces as I type this. Scott meant so much to us. We saw him struggle with life, and identified with him. We repeatedly offered him a free room in our house. It is only the two of us in this big house, and we felt that it might help him escape some of the bad influences that seemed to plague him. He and I identified on so many levels. He loved my music as much as I loved his. We could play for hours; his creative energy on the drums was an amazing thing to witness. Right after his injury I tried, protectively, to keep him from playing the drums for any extended period of time because his nub would swell. He would look at me like I was crazy, smile warmly, and continue to adjust his glove so that his drumstick would poke out of the empty finger holes. Even in that injured state, he was easily the best drummer I had ever heard. He would actually stand (not sit) behind the drumkit and play better than anyone else in the room. It certainly wasn't his way to bask in that well-deserved glory, however. He was constantly teaching my wife, a great drummer in her own right, all the little drumming tricks he had developed over the years. As he drifted towards playing guitar more often than drums, he seemed to take a genuine joy in passing those secrets on to my wife. I will always cherish the quieter moments, when he and I would sit and play our acoustic guitars for hours. What an amazing musician! He would tell me he loved my voice...I marveled at that. He was so talented, yet never missed a chance to compliment us on anything we created. Another passion that we shared was MonsterMania. Twice a year, Scott would either hitch a ride with us, or bike and meet us, at Crowne Plaza. We would let him crash in our hotel room for free, and we would all eagerly rummage through the great memorabilia. I delighted in buying him things; he was always so genuinely thankful. I remember how much he coveted a hooded sweatshirt my wife bought for me with 'The Shining' twins on the back. We always scared each other with that image, fearfully burned into our brains as children. He and I bonded on deeper issues, as well. I was also a product of divorce (I was the oldest child, at 11). My parents abused me and used me as a vengeful tool against each other. Through those experiences, I grew to be very empathetic to other people's pain. We would share our horror stories together, and bask in the understanding that we offered to each other. He would always tell my wife and I how much he respected our relationship. We truly loved him. We were happy when he left for Florida. We thought of it as a positive move for him. We were just getting to a place where we could afford to jumpstart the grandiose plans that we had shared with Scott; to start a recording studio and open it freely to all of the artists we knew. Scotty was first on that list. Even as we decorated the interior of our home and studio around Christmas, we excitedly added features and furniture that we knew Scott would love. We washed the 2 wool hats and fingerless glove he had absentmindedly left here the last time he had slept over, to be presented to him clean upon his arrival. It was not to be. It is hard for me to accept what has happened. I truly feel that if I had tried that much harder...if I could've gotten on my feet financially just a few months sooner...perhaps I could've distracted him from his demons. We miss his bear hugs. I miss how he would have me hold out my fist, and then push with both of his hands and all of his might on it to try to move me. He was like my little brother, and I failed to protect him in every way I could have. I will forever cherish the life of Scott David Parker. Kate and I miss you, Scotty P.

    ReplyDelete